[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19943] Re: Energies of the atoms of my system

Jürg Hutter hutter at chem.uzh.ch
Wed Feb 21 16:16:54 UTC 2024

Hi

atomic energies are not uniquely defined in QM calculations. They are not
real observables and are usually not considered.
However, there is a simple atomic energy decomposition available in CP2K
that works for QM systems using Mulliken populations and some other
CP2K specific assumptions for the energy decomposition. You can
get it with

FORCE_EVAL / PROPERTIES / ATOMIC   ENERGY .TRUE.

No warenty that the numbers are of any real use.

regards
JH