[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19937] BAROSTAT / THERMOSTAT % TYPE SAME_AS_PARTICLE

Léon Luntadila Lufungula Leon.luntadilalufungula at uantwerpen.be
Wed Feb 21 08:14:40 UTC 2024

Dear all,

I had a quick question regarding the settings connected to the thermostat
of the barostat. I noticed that when BAROSTAT / THERMOSTAT % TYPE is set to
SAME_AS_PARTICLE, it is impossible to print a seperate energy file for the
barostat thermostat with the BAROSTAT / THERMOSTAT / PRINT / ENERGY
statement. The only way I found to print seperate energy files for the
thermostat and the thermostat connected to the barostat is to explicitly
define a thermostat connected to the barostat, where I use the same
settings as my regular thermostat. This, however initializes two separate
thermostats as opposed to one when TYPE is set to SAME_AS_PARTICLE.
Therefore, I was wondering if there is a difference/advantage/disadvantage
to giving your barostat a completely separate thermostat as opposed to
letting your system thermostat handle the thermostatting of the barostat?
Will it slow down my calculation or perhaps impose problems with the
equilibration of the extended system or possibly affect the conservation of
the constant of motion? Any insights would be welcome!

Kind regards,
Léon