[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19884] Minimum Image Convention for COLVAR?

Daniel Depew depew.daniel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 06:29:35 UTC 2024

Hello CP2K Community,

I'm doing some exploratory investigation of collective variables from an
unbiased MD trajectory. Specifically when testing the conditioned distance
variable, I was seeing larger distances than I expected.

I've scripted up my own implementations of the collective variables since I
have an existing postprocessing codebase, and I noticed that the
conditioned distance variable doesn't seem to apply minimum image
convention to the atom positions. However, I match the CP2K output if I
wrap the atoms back into the simulation box.

On the one hand, it makes sense to use atom positions inside the periodic
domain in general, but for distance-based collective variables, I expected
the minimum image to be used since that governs the strongest interaction.

For what it's worth, I noticed that some other distance functions have a
PBC option, so I imagine the default is simply true for
CONDITIONED_DISTANCE. Is there any way to observe the minimum image
convention, or will I have to resort to PLUMED if I need this capability?

Thanks,
Daniel