[CP2K-user] [CP2K:20108] Re: Getting a cp2k input file to run with B3LYP-D3 functional

Frederick Stein f.stein at hzdr.de
Mon Apr 15 15:41:58 UTC 2024

Dear Ruvini,
In principle, you achieve this change by adjusting your &XC-section to
    &XC
     # THis sets the correct scaling factors of the different functionals
      &XC_FUNCTIONAL B3LYP
      &END XC_FUNCTIONAL
      &HF
        &INTERACTION_POTENTIAL
           # CP2K employs by default the Coulomb potential which is not
applicable in condensed phase
           POTENTIAL_TYPE TRUNCATED
           # set it to a value a bit less than half the distance to the
nearest neighbor
           CUTOFF_RADIUS 4.99
         &END INTERACTION_POTENTIAL
       &END HF
      # For the D3 correction
      &VDW_POTENTIAL
        POTENTIAL_TYPE PAIR_POTENTIAL
        &PAIR_POTENTIAL
          TYPE DFTD3
          REFERENCE_FUNCTIONAL B3LYP
        &END
      &END
    &END XC
In addition, you should use the B3LYP-optimized pseudopotentials instead of
the PADE-versions (Replace GTH-PADE-q* by GTH-B3LYP-q*). Alternatively, you
may employ the GTH-HYB-q* pseudopotentials in the POTENTIAL_UZH file.
Beware that calculations with hybrid functionals are significantly more
expensive (computation-wise and memory-wise) than calculations on the LDA
or GGA level of theory. For that purpose, consider the Auxiliary Density
Matrix Method (ADMM) by activating the &AUXILIARY_DENSITY_MATRIX_METHOD
section in the &DFT section (see manual
https://manual.cp2k.org/trunk/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/AUXILIARY_DENSITY_MATRIX_METHOD.html
and the regtests for the information on the setup).

Best,
Frederick