[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19277] Cutoff for cells with different sizes

Léon Luntadila Lufungula Leon.luntadilalufungula at uantwerpen.be
Mon Sep 25 10:02:24 UTC 2023

Dear all,

I am doing calculations on a TiO2 slab modified with certain adsorbates and
looking at the different conformations the adsorbates can take up when
adsorbed onto the surface. For my calculations, I generally create a
starting structure and then center the system and add a fixed amount (20 Å)
of vacuum padding. I was wondering if this might pose any problems with
respect to the plane wave basis set size as I know that the size of your PW
basis set is dependent on both the cutoff energy and the volume of your
simulation cell. Since some structures are less extended in the direction
perpendicular to the slab, adding the vacuum padding will result in
different volumes for each of the structures. Therefore I was wondering if
this is a wrong procedure for me to follow, or if the differences would be
only minute? I'm doing it in this way so as to minimize the cell volume and
reduce the computational cost due to the plane waves. Alternatively, I
would have to choose a large enough cell size that can fit all of my
structures (+ the appropriate vacuum padding), but this would make some
calculations unnecessarily heavy as the vacuum padding is much larger than
required...

All the best,
Léon