[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19434] Re: Questions on the use of the WFN_MIX function to obtain the open-shell singlet state

John Zhang jtravers2023 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 14:23:53 UTC 2023

Dear Prof. Lannuzzi

The quintet state has 4 singly occupied alpha spin orbitals. I tried to
flip two of these alpha spin orbitals to beta spin. therefore, I set the
"RESULT_MO_INDEX" as negtive to represent the unoccupied MO space. I
actually also tries the opposite way: setting ORIG_MO_INDEX as the virtual
MO and RESULT_MO_INDEX as HOMO and HOMO-1. This run was "successful",
however, I am not sure I understand the results. The output file shows that
"Performing wfn mixing and Writing new MOs to file" at the end of the
calculation. In this specific calculation, the spin multiplicity is 5 and I
used the ATOMIC guess, the program seems to perform wfn mixing after SCF
for the initial quintet state (although not converge), How do i know the
wfn mixing is correctly performed? Does the saved wfn file contains the
spin-fliped singlet state? Could you please provide some suggestions? Thank
you! Attached please find the input and output.

Best wishes

John