[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19568] Re: Significant discontinuity in EOS curver for FeO

Kejiang Li lyam_likej at 126.com
Sat Nov 25 01:37:22 UTC 2023

Dear Matthias,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

I have done the tests with different R_CUTOFF radius for the VDW_POTENTIAL
from 10.05 to 25.05 A. You can see that the increase of R_CUTOFF did not
improve the EOS curve for FeO. And it is indeed the VDW_POTENTIAL that
causes the discontinuity or asymmetry of the EOS curve of FeO, while all
the other parameters I tested did not have an obvious influence on the EOS
curve of FeO.

Maybe we can conclude that the empirical VDW_POTENTIAL is not applicable to
FeO, even though I have not yet understand the fundamental mechanism behind
this issue as VDW_POTENTIAL is a long-range interaction and should not have
an obvious influence on the short-range interaction. Anyway, it tells us
that we should be careful while using VDW_POTENTIAL for iron-containing
solid phase or any other system.

Many thanks for your continuous suggestions.

Best regards,
Kejiang
[image: IMG_0115.png]