[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19566] Re: Significant discontinuity in EOS curver for FeO

Krack Matthias matthias.krack at psi.ch
Fri Nov 24 19:14:42 UTC 2023

Dear Kejiang

the default R_CUTOFF radius for the VDW_POTENTIAL is only 20 bohr (10.5 A) which can lead to a non-negligible noise in that energy contribution for a growing cell size, because the growth of the pair (neighbor) lists is not smooth (continuous). You can try a much larger R_CUTOFF radius, e.g. 25 A, for a smoother behavior.

I don’t think that a vdW correction is crucially needed for bulk FeO, but for FeO surfaces with H2/H2O adsorbed it makes sense most likely.

Best

Matthias