[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19013] Re: TiO2 slab not converging

Léon Luntadila Lufungula Leon.luntadilalufungula at uantwerpen.be
Wed Jun 28 11:54:36 UTC 2023

Update:

I tried to optimize a 3-layer slab with altered SCF cycle settings (inner
loop: 15 steps, outer loop: 45 steps) and still it does not converge. The
convergence goes towards 2E-7 after 22 outer SCF cycles, but then doesn't
seem to get lower (see attachment a101-3-layer-jobID_188.out). I tried to
restart the calculation with altered EPS_SCF (= 1E-6) and then the
restarted SCF cycle converges as the convergence was already below 1E-6.
Unfortunately, after that the SCF again seems to only very slowly converge,
after 27 outer SCF steps it's still only at 8E-5 convergence (see
attachment a101-3-layer-jobID_189.out). Can anybody please help me out? I
feel like the calculation is not converging properly, as after nearly 2
hours it still hasn't converged one SCF cycle but I don't know what might
be wrong orhow to fix it... Requiring 300+ steps to reach SCF convergence
seems quite high to me and makes me start to think there is something
fundamentally wrong with my input. If anyone could look at my inputs and
tell me what's wrong with them, I would be forever thankful!

Kind regards,
Léon

P.S. Could the TZVP basis set pose a problem? I often see people use
DZVP-SR for similar calculations, but my promotor and co-promotor both told
me that TZVP is required for proper energetics and should be used in
production runs.