[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19007] TiO2 slab not converging

Léon Luntadila Lufungula Leon.luntadilalufungula at uantwerpen.be
Wed Jun 28 08:04:07 UTC 2023

Dear all,

I am trying to determine the ideal slab thickness for an anatase (101) slab
but my SCF cycles are not converging. I optimized the cutoffs for the
anatase bulk and did a CELL_OPT calculation on the unit cell to get the
converged structure. From this optimized unit cell, I then used ASE to
build the (101) slabs  with a 20 Å vacuum width and thicknesses varying
from 2 to 12 layers. During the GEO_OPT calculation I keep the bottom layer
frozen to act as the bulk. I started the 2-layer calculation yesterday but
when I looked at the output today, I see that the SCF cycle fails at every
step of the geometry optimization (see output in attachment). Is there
something wrong with my setup (too tight convergence criteria, wrong SCF
setup, ...), or is it because a 2-layer structure is perhaps too small? The
changes in energy go to 1E-5 - 1E-6 but never reach the convergence
criteria of 1E-7 even after 300 steps (inner cycle: 10 steps, outer cycle
30 steps). I would guess that it could converge if I would increase the
maximum number of steps, but 300 steps already seems quite a lot to me,
although I could be wrong...

If anyone could share their thoughts on the situation so I can continue my
work, I would greatly appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Léon