[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19009] Re: drastic change in pressure on changing smoothing

Jürg Hutter hutter at chem.uzh.ch
Wed Jun 28 11:21:10 UTC 2023

Hi

disclosure: I never use the 'smoothing options' myself, so I don't have first hand experience.

Smoothing changes the density independently from the atomic positions. As long as the
functional derivatives are consistent, so will be the nuclear forces.
For the stress tensor this is no longer true as the stress depends on the cell vectors and so
do the grid points involved in smoothing. This part of the derivative is apparently not implemented.

I don't like smoothing as it 'changes' the functional from Exc[rho] to Exc[f(rho)] with unknown
consequences on physical properties.

regards
JH