[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18976] Help on adding limit potential to do AIMD simulation in CP2K

horin cham horincham at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 08:58:59 UTC 2023

Dear all,

I wanted to do a simulation of water molecules inducing catalyst surface
remodeling, so I wanted to implement the addition of a limiting potential
to bring water molecules close to the catalyst surface, leading to catalyst
surface remodeling.

This was done by referring to the SI section of this literature
(doi.org/10.1021/acscatal.8b01232)

I have set the limiting potential in the inp file as follows. Where 1-141
is specified for all atoms in the water molecule, Z0 is taken as the
z-value of the catalyst surface, and B is approximated by the calculation
of the reference formula.

*  &EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL    ATOMS_LIST 1..141    FUNCTION -1 * (1 - ((Z - Z0)
/ B)^12) / (1 - ((Z - Z0) / B)^24)    VALUES [eV] 0.20 [angstrom] 5.0
PARAMETERS B Z0  &END EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL&END FORCE_EVAL*
Running 2.7ps with NVT resulted in some of the water molecules going up and
some going down, and no dissociation of the water molecules was found to
occur. So, my question is : 1.Does this mean that the effect of the
catalyst (Cu2O) surface on the adsorption of water molecules is stronger
than the effect of the confining potential (i.e., running NVT without
confining potential also gives this result, and adding confining potential
is not very useful?) 2. What should I do if I want all water molecules
above the vacuum layer to be close to the catalyst surface, or even if
water dissociation occurs?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

All the best,
chorin.