[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18941] Re: k-points vs. supercell approach

Léon Luntadila Lufungula Leon.luntadilalufungula at uantwerpen.be
Tue Jun 20 13:09:43 UTC 2023

Dear all,

I am currently continuing with k-point sampling as this method is much
faster than the supercell calculations. However, I still don't quite
understand why/how this is the case... On most of the posts I read on this
forum, people state that the supercell approach should preferably be used
as this is the standard in CP2K, so I don't understand why there is such a
large difference in favor of k-point sampling in my case. Could anyone
confirm/deny that this could be normal behaviour? I still would prefer to
use the supercell approach as it has more functionalities, but I can't
consider it a valid option if the computational cost is so much larger than
the k-points approach...

Kind regards,
Léon