[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17814] Re: magnetic systems in cp2k / AiiDA common workflows

Leopold Talirz leopold.talirz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 13:18:15 UTC 2022

Hi Matthias,

After chatting with Sasha, he mentions that, for the body-centered cubic Fe
structure

 a) the equation of state of the ferromagnetic state (=ground state) fit
relatively well with the other codes for 5x5x5 k-points (see
https://github.com/aiidateam/aiida-common-workflows/issues/117#issuecomment-799611434),
but started to deviate substantially when increasing the number of k-points
(!)

 b) the equation of state for the antiferromagnetic state (artificial, not
the ground state) was always off, and total magnetization per cell was ~1/4
Bohr magneton per atom above the result for Quantum ESPRESSO.

He mentions he tried a number of things

   1. Fix the total magnetization to 0.
   2. Set a very large k-point grid: 20 20 20
   3. Set MGRID CUTOFF to 1000
   4. Use a very large basis: TZV2P-MOLOPT-SR-GTH-q16
   5. Set EPS_DEFAULT to 1.0E-16
   6. Use different starting magnetization: +4/-4, +2/-2.

He also mentions that one thing he did not try to vary was the
pseudopotential, and that you recently added a potential that would make
sense to try.
Could you please point me to this potential, and perhaps the basis you
would recommend to use with them?

I will then try to rerun the workflow and report results back (including
the input files generated).

Cheers!
Leopold