[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17009] Running Cp2k in parallel using thread in a PC

Sam Broderick waveman68 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 11:16:43 UTC 2022

Hi Everyone

While I haven't figured out the GPU side of things (btw, only part of cp2k
is GPU-optimized), I found this approach useful for mpirun. Note that many
people do not recommend using hyper-threading for this kind of application,
so this will not give hyper-threading.

     mpirun -n 2 --bind-to numa --map-by numa -display-map cp2k.psmp -i
my-cp2k-run.inp > my-cp2k-run.out

   1. The 'bind-to numa' and 'map-by numa' make use of the os's
   understanding of the processor.
   2. These two together neatly puts the mpi ranks per cpu socket.
   3. The '-display-map' writes the mpi assignments at the beginning of the
   output.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards

Sam