[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17001] Concern with RESTART and GEO_OPT

Oliver olivier_bouty at hotmail.com
Wed May 18 15:43:13 UTC 2022

Hi cp2k users,
I would like to address a concern which i came through recently when my
cp2k program crashed for some reason. I'm doing a geometry optimization on
an atomic system with the Gradient Conjugate option (CG) and default values
for CG keywords. While restarting the program, i discovered that the two
"new" first iterations were done with the Steepest Descent method (SD) and
that the third one was using CG method. Unfortunately, the System's energy
jumps a bit from the last value calculated before cp2k crashed while using
CG during this iteration. As a consequence, the atomic configuration is
blurred and it seems that the optimization process couldn't return anymore
to the optimization path found before the crash.
I tried to play with keywords Max_Steep_Steps and Restart_Limit, but
nothing changes.
Does anyone could give me some advice on how to force cp2k to only use CG
for the "new" iterations when restarting the program.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Oliver