[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16922] Re: CP2K scaling with Intel ONEAPI MPI + ethernet

hf.p...@gmail.com hf.pabst at gmail.com
Sat May 7 19:00:49 UTC 2022

Like abin suggested, try using an HPC fabric such as InfiniBand or
Omnipath. The main point here is about latency is too high over Ethernet
for the communication patterns common in MD applications. Note, it is
mostly about latency and not the transfer bandwidth (though bw is most
advertised like "100G" or 200/400G). I conducted similar experiments in the
past with CP2K and QE, and strong-scaling performance diminished quickly
(often two nodes already needed a longer time to solution when compared to
a single node/system). Of course, this depends on the workload but for
instance reductions and all2all comms are the bottleneck in general.