[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17382] Re: Need help to increase compute speed

Xavier Bidault jazzquark at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 00:13:10 UTC 2022

I quote BASIS_MOLOPT file:
# Usage hint : '*NGRIDS 5*' (section &MGRID) will deal more efficiently (2x
speedup) with the diffuse nature of the basis.
Due to that, don't bother too much with REL_CUTOFF. Just comment or delete
the line and let CP2K use the default value.

You indeed have to study the convergence of the CUTOFF. I'm not bothered by
600 Ry. But you should assess this value in the range 300-1500 Ry for
example, with a variable-cell optimisation of a CuC crystal at ambient
conditions. The energy and volume should converge for a certain value of
CUTOFF.

I'm not sure "saving" on EPS_SCF is a good idea. Did you assess 1e-5 was
okay? I would say at least 1e-6.

On the other hand, ALPHA = 0.1 is small. How does 0.2 or 0.3 behave?

My 2 cents.