[CP2K-user] [CP2K:17336] Re: Geometry doesn't converge

Marcella Iannuzzi marci.akira at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 12:07:40 UTC 2022

Dear Antun

The problem is not Cholesky decompose.
That error message appeared for a first run (see your log) where the
EPS_SCF was set to
eps_scf:                                        5.00E-01
which is a very large value. The consequence is very wrong forces leading
to unphysical structures and whatever possible error.

After that first run,  the simulation has been repeated (see log). Maybe
starting again from the original structure or maybe form one of the
unphysical structures that were generated in the previous run. I don't
know.
Anyway, there the eps_scf is set to a reasonable value
eps_scf:                                        5.00E-07
but the problem is that every optimisation of the electronic structure does
not succeed, hence again wrong forces are provided and the dynamics is also
wrong.

The suggestion is: before starting MD, get a reasonable electronic
structure for a reasonable (equilibrium?) initial structure. Check that the
electronic structure model reproduces some known properties of the
simulated system, testing the usual suspects: functional, cutoff, basis
set, vdw corrections etc.
Only if the electronic structure model has been assessed, the MD
simulations can be trusted, this is for sure a necessary condition.

Regards
marcella