[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16501] Re: IR spectm for NaCl under PBC

hutter at chem.uzh.ch hutter at chem.uzh.ch
Wed Jan 26 09:26:27 UTC 2022

Hi

The vibrational analysis module is most useful for molecular systems
(molecular crystals) calculated at the Gamma point. In this case
you can also calculate IR intensities through dipole derivatives.
For k-point calculations the dipoles are not available and no
IR intensities are possible. In addition you only get the
Gamma point phonon.
For systems like NaCl, what you usually want is a full phonon spectra.
In this case you should use specialized software like phonopy
that interfaces to CP2K (and many other codes).

regards

Juerg Hutter
Juerg Hutter                         Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie                E-mail: hutter at chem.uzh.ch
Universität Zürich
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland