[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16465] virial from Cp2K

hutter at chem.uzh.ch hutter at chem.uzh.ch
Mon Jan 17 15:22:13 UTC 2022

Hi

CP2K stress tensor calculations return the derivative of the
total energy wrt the cell parameters.
For NPT simulations the kinetic energy part is added to account
for finite temperature effects.

The virial can only be calculated from the nuclear gradients
under certain conditions, e.g. pair atomic forces (so not in DFT)
and minimum image conditions.

regards

Juerg Hutter
Juerg Hutter                         Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie                E-mail: hutter at chem.uzh.ch
Universität Zürich
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland