[CP2K-user] [CP2K:16544] Re: IR spectm for NaCl under PBC

Victor Volkov volkovskr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 10:29:35 UTC 2022

Dear Fabian:
good morning.

Sorry to bother once more.

I used the "experience" with NaCl
to step toward Li2MnO3:
I attach cif, UnitCell xyz, input and current output.

Of course, the spinel is much more demanding: I specified NEL for every
ion.

I wish to ask your opinion in respect to your advise to test
&CELL_REF section with dimensions approx. 1.3-1.5 times larger than the
&CELL.

Specifically, I have noticed that for the larger &CELL_REF
the time for an SCF cycle increases
and the efficiency of the convergence decreases.

Currently, for &CELL_REF dimensions 1.5 times larger
I have one SCF cycle done in about 16 hours.

Currently, i am finishing the convergence for NaCL using the same criteria
    MAX_DR    8.0E-07
    RMS_DR    4.0E-07
    MAX_FORCE 1.0E-07
    RMS_FORCE 1.0E-08
The optimization (I will report to the members once done)
report 24 SCF for every structural update.
Currently the optimization accounts 111 structural updates,
Accounting this, I extrapolate 111*24*16 = 42624 hours = 4.87 years
I would need to optimize the spinel.

As you know,
I am "stubborn enough" to take such a challenge

(For example, this week,
I submitted to ACS Inorg. Chemistry a manuscript
using 2DIR data I measured, when I was a researcher in Uni. Zurich in
2002-2004.
I remember Dr. Hutter when he was much younger. :-)

However, may be you give me an advise if
&CELL_REF could be attuned to be smaller
to account better properties of  DZVP and the nature of the ions in the
system?

Of course, trying to improved the performance I will explore
&OT, GAWP, DFT+U options
as well as switching to MULTIPLE 1 1 1.
The latter, however, I see cannot provide any quality for normal modes.

Best,
En Schöne
Victor