[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18250] Re: How to speed HF up

Nicholas Winner nwinner at berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 22 20:28:29 UTC 2022

1. EPS_DEFAULT should be increased to at least 1e-10, maybe 1e-12. It does
not change the speed of the HF much when you reduce it and creates
substantial errors.
2. Use a PBE restart file and then set SCREEN_ON_INITIAL_P True. This
creates very effective screening and rarely causes problems. The initial
wave function guess needs to be "good" for this approximation to be valid,
but in my experience it is only invalid when one is very far from
equilibrium geometries.
3. For your auxiliary basis set, admm-dzp should already be fairly fast,
but if you want to be more aggressive you can use the older cpFIT basis
sets. These are less diffuse and will result in quicker HF evaluation.

Other than that there aren't many ways you can squeeze performance other
than changing your SCF section. Are you noticing that you are taking many
many SCF steps to converge? Maybe your SCF settings are the problem. I see
that you are using diagonalization instead of OT. If you must use
traditional diagonalization, that is okay, but I would suggest trying to
use some mixing scheme. The default mixing is good for some systems, but in
general I find broyden mixing is better. Something like

&SCF
            MAX_SCF 100                    !DEFAULT 50
            EPS_SCF 1.0E-5                !DEFAULT 1.0e-5, OT: -6 - -7, FOR
DIAG CAN BE SMALLER (DEFAULT)
            SCF_GUESS RESTART            !DEFAULT ATOMIC, RESTART FOR
RESTART
            &DIAGONALIZATION T
            &END DIAGONALIZATION
            &MIXING
                    METHOD BROYDEN_MIXING
                    ALPHA .01
                    BETA .1
             &END
&END SCF

If you include your output it can also help us diagnose what is the problem
and if there are improvements.

A side note to Augustine's suggestion. RI will not benefit ADMM. RI can be
used to improve the speed of HFX with large basis, but since ADMM is a
small basis the improvements go away.