[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18130] Non-physical pressure behavior for non-local vdW functionals

Luke Gibson ldgibson819 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 23:38:27 UTC 2022

Hi Prof. Hutter,

Thank you for your suggestion. We ran that DEBUG job with the input you
provided for optB86b-vdW. In the output, it compares the stress tensor
computed numerically and analytically, which showed that the two methods
gave the same result (within error). I have attached the output file from
that DEBUG job for reference. I have also included an xyz file for the
system we are looking at for any testing.

We also discovered that we were running the SCAN-RVV10 calculations without
actually including the non-local vdW corrections from RVV10. So in the
figure I previously attached, the plot labeled "SCAN-RVV10" was actually
showing the pressures from SCAN without any dispersion corrections.
Therefore, we only see this non-physical behavior when using non-local vdW
functionals and showed that it is not attributed to the method of computing
the stress tensor (i.e., numerical vs analytical) based on the DEBUG job we
ran.

We appreciate your help in identifying the source of this problem. If you
need any other information from us for testing, we are happy to provide it.

Thank you,
Luke