[CP2K-user] [CP2K:15013] Re: The temperature I get is different from what I set when do massive and global thermostat.

Travis polla... at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 05:44:03 UTC 2021

Hi,

Yes, use the configuration from geometry optimization to start MD. Though
in your original post, the thermostat coupling constant is much greater
than the length of the trajectory you ran, whether massive or global - it's
not doing anything here. The velocities are randomized and scaled to the
target temperature by default as well so you should expect differences in
the initial temperature fluctuations. After running for some time and
reaching equilibrium, the average temperature from both thermostat settings
should be equal. The massive thermostat controls every degree of freedom so
it should get to the target temperature in fewer MD steps, making it ideal
for equilibration. You should exercise caution in using MASSIVE for a given
thermostat and coupling constant when you are interested in dynamic
properties during data collection (aka production) runs. See, J. Chem.
Theory Comput. 2013, 9, 2887−2899.

-T