[CP2K-user] FFT library for wavelet Poisson solver

Nicklas Österbacka nicklas.... at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 10:42:14 UTC 2021

Hi!

I'm working towards doing some calculations on adsorption energies on slabs
using CP2K 6.1 and would prefer to use non-periodic boundary conditions in
the surface normal direction. As I have little experience with aperiodic
DFT I ran some small tests to compare with periodic calculations.

The wavelet Poisson solver requires the use of the FFTSG FFT library
according to the manual, but using FFTW3 instead yields virtually the same
result for the geometry optimization of an oxygen molecule in a 20x20x20 Å
box with no periodicity in any direction. (I realize that the box is much
larger than necessary.) The energy difference between the two solvers is
about 2e-13 Ha, while the difference in O-O bond length is about 3e-9 Å.

As the calculation using FFTW3 ran about 20 % faster it seems preferable to
using FFTSG, but I want to make sure that CP2K isn't doing anything
unexpected when combining FFTW3 with the wavelet Poisson solver. Is the
manual incorrect on the FFTSG requirement, or is it perhaps only required
for XZ periodicity?

Any insight would be appreciated!
Nicklas