[CP2K-user] [CP2K:15636] Re: Dipole Moment. Help wanted.

hut... at chem.uzh.ch hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Mon Jun 28 08:31:59 UTC 2021

Hi

dipole moments in periodic systems are only defined modulo 2Pi/L
(for simple cubic systems). The value is calculated through a
complex Logarithm that can lead to results on different branches
with offsets. Have a look at the literature for more complete
discussions and more general formulas.
The choice of reference point can lead to a reduced number of
"jumps" and easier post-processing.

regards

Juerg Hutter
Juerg Hutter                         Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie C                FAX   : ++41 44 635 6838
Universität Zürich                   E-mail: hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland