[CP2K-user] Dipole Moment. Help wanted.

Alexander Kazakov alexande... at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 13:55:23 UTC 2021

Dear CP2K community,

I am simulating 64 molecules of water using DFT in NVT ensemble using PBC.
I interested in dipole moment values as a trajectory with MD step.

Here is what I have so far:
[image: DM_xyz_total.png]

You can see 4 curves: 3 of them are components (x,y,z) and the last one is
the length of the vector.  All of them are functions of the MD step.

Let's focus on curves that correspond to x and z components. You can see
that there is a kind of "jump"  at certain ranges. These "jump" actually
resemble a crossing kind of boundary condition. You can see how well it is
fit the blue curve on the top to the bottom (the same is applied for the
purple curve).
Personally, I think it is indeed a kind of boundary condition, however, I
have no idea what 30 means.

Then I found these certain steps where it happens:

MD STEP
26
    X=  -19.18787840 Y=    5.85693184 Z=   29.55510907     Total=
35.72090144
27
    X=  -19.18076162 Y=    5.52351367 Z=  -29.53176935     Total=
35.64458192

So the z component apparently changed the sign. So I thought that something
horrible happened in the system. I plotted position atom change as a
function of atom ID:
(if the picture has very poor quality, please find enclosed pdf version)
[image: 26-27_diff.png]

Alright, there is an interesting plot here. We see the different amplitude
of change through the atom IDs. So first 2/3 of the curve correspond to
hydrogen atoms displacement, whereas the last part corresponds to oxygen
atoms.

*So back to questions.* Could you tell me, why some components of the
dipole moment "jump" changing the sigh? Is it possible to force dipole
moment to stay on one side of the "boundary"? There are no doubts that
hydrogen atoms should move "actively" than oxygen atoms, but I don't
understand what has changed dramatically in the system. Lastly, if you can
give me a hint for number 30 in the boundary (see figure), I would be
thankful!

As because I check CP2K 6.1, 7.1, 8.1, and 8.2 and I got the same behaviour
with jumps I assume that I did something wrong or misunderstand something.
Please find enclosed FORCE_EVAL section of my script.

Additionally I am sending topology of the system.

If additionaly information is required, please let me know.

Best regards,
Alexander Kazakov