[CP2K-user] [CP2K:15575] GAPW: How does r_loc affect energies?

Krack Matthias (PSI) matthi... at psi.ch
Wed Jun 16 08:16:34 UTC 2021

Hello Hayden

r_loc defines the exponent \alpha_C of the core charge distribution. Check section 2.3 of this reference<https://doi.org/10.1039/B001167N> for further details. While this parameter is part of the parameter set of the GTH pseudopotentials (local part), it can be in principle arbitrarily chosen for all-electron calculations, but for reasons of computational efficiency and accuracy, r_loc should not be too small or too large. 0.5 turned out to be a reasonable choice, which should also work for At.
The atomic regions for the hard part of GAPW are defined by the HARD_EXP_RADIUS<https://manual.cp2k.org/trunk/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/SUBSYS/KIND.html#HARD_EXP_RADIUS> keyword key.

HTH

Matthias