[CP2K-user] GAPW: How does r_loc affect energies?

Hayden Scheiber hayden... at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 20:36:23 UTC 2021

Hello,

I'm attempting a series of all-electron DFT calculations involving the At-
ion, but astatine is not defined in the ALL_POTENTIALS file. I added in my
own astatine section into my local ALL_POTENTIALS file as follows:

At ALLELECTRON ALL
   12   29   30    14
     r_loc    0
#

I don't know what choice of r_loc to use (e.g. 0.5 is used for iodine). I
can't find any documentation on how r_loc values are chosen. I believe that
r_loc defines the border between the hard (local) and soft (interstitial)
parts of the GAPW calculation. Is this correct? I attempted a few test
calculations with varying values of r_loc on a non-periodic At atom, and
the resulting total energy varies a lot (10s of Hartrees). Why does the
energy vary so much with r_loc? How should I select my value of r_loc?

Attached is the CP2K input I'm using.

Thanks,

Hayden Scheiber