[CP2K-user] Hirshfeld-I charges with higher precision

Nicklas Österbacka nicklas.... at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 13:49:49 UTC 2021

Hi!

I am planning a project on constructing a machine learning potential based
on CP2K calculations, and as part of this I need access to dependable
partial charges. Self-consistent Hirshfeld with SHAPE_FUNCTION DENSITY
seems to be the best option in CP2K as I would like to avoid
post-processing of potentially hundreds of gigabytes of data.

Digging through the source code, it seems that the
*comp_hirshfeld_i_charges* routine proceeds until the total charge residual
is less than 1e-2. I am not sure this is enough to train a reliable machine
learning model, however, so I would like to change it to something stricter
to be on the safe side. Is this safe to do, or could that lead to e.g.
numerical instabilities? Changing it to 1e-4 or 1e-5 would probably be
enough for my purposes.

All the best,
Nicklas