[CP2K-user] How to constrain z position of a molecule in cp2k when doing metadynamics?

Marcella Iannuzzi marci... at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 11:17:25 UTC 2021

Dear Hongxia

Yes it is possible to constrain/restrain the position of a molecule.
There are several ways to do it, either with restraints, or using external
potentials, or doing metadynamics adding specific walls.
Yes in metadynamics such a restriction would affect the free energy, how
and how much depends on the processes you are looking at.
Examples and test inputs can be found on cp2k.org and among the regtests in
the repository.
e.g.,
https://www.cp2k.org/exercises:2015_cecam_tutorial:mtd1
cp2k/tests/Fist/regtest-15/metadyn4.inp
cp2k/tests/Fist/regtest-10/c60_pl_pl_angl1_restr.inp

Regards
Marcella