[CP2K-user] [CP2K:15704] Wrong water density wih xTB

Guillaume Stirnemann gsti... at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 15:24:56 UTC 2021

Dear Pedro,

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with tight-binding methods such as
DFTB or xTB. It has been reported before, see e.g.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp400953a, although it does not seem
to be widely communicated. This info had been nicely shared by Thomas Kühne
and Juerg Hutter here some time ago (see Dec 2018).
Systems shrink unreasonably in the NPT ensemble, and usually, bubbles
appear if the volume is kept constant to satisfy the experimental density.
It is pretty clear by looking at the radial distribution functions that the
structure is usually pretty badly reproduced.

In my group we did many many tests using different generations of TB
methods in cp2k, including xTB. The only set of parameters that seem to
give "stable" results for water (in the NVT ensemble) are the SCC-DFTB,
sometimes called DFTB2, using the mio-1-1 parameter set. Thomas also shared
some parameters that were reoptimized to better reproduce water structure,
see in https://arxiv.org/pdf/1408.5161.pdf.
These parameters do not lead to voids in the simulation box, but I never
tested them in NPT.

It seems that later generations of xTB seem give much more accurate results
in general (no idea how they behave for liquid water), but I don't think
they are currently implemented in cp2k.

Best wishes,

Guillaume Stirnemann