[CP2K-user] SCF convergence problem with large basis sets

Nicholas Winner nwi... at berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 5 22:49:27 UTC 2021

Tom,

(1) When you say that you had no issues with  DZVP -> TZVP -> TZV2P basis
sets, were you using the MOLOPT basis sets? The MOLOPT basis sets were
optimized using the overlap matrix condition number as a constraint in
order to make them more numerically stable. This is why they are the basis
set type of choice for condensed phases. If you *were* using MOLOPT, then
once you move to the QZVP basis sets, for which there are no molopt basis
sets, then that is why it become harder to converge. If you *were not*
using the MOLOPT basis sets I would encourage you to stick with them.
Generally, condensed matter systems have converged properties around TZVP
quality in my opinion, and DZVP is still pretty good. If you need true
chemical accuracy, then you're going to need to move beyond DFT anyway.

(2) There is a general issue of using larger basis sets, which is the
nature of the Gaussian type orbitals. GTOs are not an orthonormal basis,
unfortunately, so the larger your basis set, the greater the risk of
introducing linear dependencies that make converge very difficult. Another
reason to limit the size to only as large as you need for your application.
Beyond linear dependencies, the conditioner number itself also increases
with increasing basis set size.

(3) Your CUTOFF in your multi-grid is not converged. I noticed this because
after your SCF loops you have the line "Electronic density on regular
grids. -605.9997903253        0.0002096747" -- the second number in this
column should be <1e-8 preferably. The cutoff is the most common cause for
this, and your cutoff of 350 is not sufficient. To determine the cutoff,
take the largest exponent in your basis set and multiply it by the relative
cutoff. Your CUTOFF value should be at least this large, otherwise your
multigrid will not be able to accommodate the hardest exponents. Oxygen has
an exponent of ~12 at the QZV3P level of theory, so your CUTOFF should be
around 480 if you are using the default REL_CUTOFF of 40. The exponents
change with your basis set, so this could be part of the issue you were
facing when you got to the larger ones.

Try fixing your CUTOFF value and see if it helps, but also consider using
smaller basis sets, maybe of the MOLOPT type, which are generally
sufficiently accurate for most DFT calculations.

-Nick