[CP2K-user] convergence problem of Ions in implicit water (SCCS)

li bingxin bingxi... at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 12:22:23 UTC 2021

Dear CP2K users,

I am trying to relax the Mg2+ solvated ions in the implicit water using the
self-consistent continuum solvation (SCCS) model  implemented in the CP2K
code. I have tested the parameters for water molecules inside the implicit
water according to Oliviero's paper:
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.3676407, and found a slightly more
negative solvation energy (-7.77 eV) comparing to the experiment data (-6.3
eV). I assume this error can be accepted and use the aforementioned
parameters for the relaxation of ions in implicit water.

However, when I try to calculate the solvated Mg2+/Mg + 6H2O clusters
(anions and neutral cluster), I found the SCF can hardly get converged in
this case. I tried Broyden mixing method and direct linear mixing method
with small mixing alpha (0.1). But this can not make the calculation get
converged. I was wondering how can I get the SCF converged (for instance,
tuning the values for rho_max/min in the SCCS model)?

I have attached the input file and could anyone have any experience or
ideas on this issue help me?

I am looking forward to your reply.