[CP2K-user] Calculating dipole moments for static dielectric constant calculation. Please help me decide whether and how to use Ewald summation.

Stns ant... at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 22:27:24 UTC 2021

I would like to repeat calculations of the static dielectric constant that
someone did years ago with a different code, for use in other
calculations.  My basic setup is below.

I'm not an expert and it's a challenge.  One previous problem was that I
did not realize I was not calculating "traditional" dipole moments that are
compatible with the fluctuation formula used in exercises like the one at
the link in red below.  I now include "PERIODIC FALSE" (please see my setup
at the bottom of this message) and the problem seems to have been fixed,
but I mention it here in case it is not.
https://www.cp2k.org/exercises:2018_uzh_acpc2:mol_sol

The issue now is that I have realized I should be using Ewald summation in
my periodic boundary conditions.  I thought I was (that it was the
default).  In my setup below that I have been using, I have:

    &POISSON

       PERIODIC XYZ

    &END

However, I came across an example input file in a CP2K exercise online and
saw that he included explicit language related to Ewald summation, so it
appears I have not been using it so far.  The example uses:

    &POISSON

      &EWALD

        EWALD_TYPE ewald

        ALPHA .45

        GMAX  19

      &END EWALD

    &END POISSON

*Could someone please point me in the right direction?  *Should I replace
my simple "PERIODIC XYZ" with the example directly above (in red)?  How can
I figure out reasonable values for ALPHA and GMAX if so?  Any advice would
be very helpful.  Thank you.

My setup (below).

&GLOBAL

  PROJECT X