[CP2K-user] Incorrect spin moment for P donor in Si

Nicholas Winner nwi... at berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 21 18:05:08 UTC 2021

HSE should give alright levels for P in Si. I have a test calculation I did
a while ago with Si:P and found the following:

Dopant energy levels (distance from band edge) for Boron, Phosphorus
Exp:      0.045eV, 0.045eV
PBE0:   0.21eV, 0.28eV
HSE06: 0.12eV 0.19eV

While by experimental standards those energy levels are pretty far off,
it's pretty darn good by DFT with total energies.

Using Janak's theorem instead of total energies for the transition levels:
PBE0:   0.104 eV, 0.176eV
HSE06: 0.017 eV, 0.077eV

Which is even better. HSE will help give pretty good localization, so that
might not be the issue you are facing. You should try some delocalization
analysis to see if its actually the problem. You can do this with, say, the
planar averaged electrostatic correction scheme of Freysoldt. You can also
look at the localization by investigating the cube file for the electron
density in a program like vesta. The hyperfine constant may require even
better theory like a GW calculation, but I'm not an expert on that aspect
of point defect calculations.