[CP2K-user] Error with specifying a negative multiplicity

Jae Eun Lee leejae... at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 12:03:07 UTC 2021

Dear cp2k users

Hi, I am wondering whether I can specify negative multiplicity for a
particular system. I have put multiplicity as -2 for an anion molecule for
a DFT calculation and I got the following error :

 **** WARNING in qs_environment.F:1295 :: More beta than alpha MOs
****
* *** requested. The number of beta MOs will be reduced to the number alpha
****
* *** MOs.
****

* ********************************************************************************
* *   ___
     **
* *  /   \
    **
* * [ABORT]
     **
* *  \___/                             CPASSERT failed
    **
* *    |
    **
* *  O/|
    **
* * /| |
    **
* * / \
 qs_environment.F:1300 **
* ********************************************************************************

* ===== Routine Calling Stack =====*

*            2 qs_init_subsys*
*            1 CP2K*

Based on the last discussion by Pavan in April last year, it seems like
cp2k does not support a way to generate configuration where the unpaired
electron is in the spin down state (beta). But I would like to ask once
again if someone has come up with a way to specify beta spin state for the
unpaired electron. I understand that alpha and beta states should be
degenerate in the absence of magnetic field but my system needs to treat
alpha and beta spin states separately.

*Background of my system (just in case)*

I am studying a system where an electron is transferred from an organic
molecule to a oxygen molecule. Let A be the organic molecule (IDFBR) and B
be the oxygen molecule and the electron transfer can be described by the
following equation:

[A]- + [B]  --> [A] + [B]-

Since the ground state of oxygen molecule is triplet and anion organic
molecule is doublet, I believe that the electron can only transferred from
the anion organic molecule if the spin states of the electrons in A- and B
are correctly aligned. (alpha electron at the SOMO of [A]- if electrons at
the SOMOs of B are beta or  beta electrons at the SOMO of [A]- if electrons
at the SOMOs of B are alpha).

[image: electron transfer.png]
                  [image: electron transfer2.png]
Electron transfer not possible
 Electron transfer possible

Therefore, I need to study the particular system where unpaired electron of
A has opposite spin state as B.

Thank you so much for your time and I would really appreciate any comments
/ help on this.

kind regards

jae