[CP2K-user] Incorrect spin moment for P donor in Si

Nicholas Winner nwi... at berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 19 17:31:14 UTC 2021

The main thing is because you are trying to simulate a shallow donor with
GGA. If you look at The HOMO-LUMO gap in your output file, one of the spin
channels has a gap of 0.6eV, which is the expected band gap of Si using GGA
approximation. The other spin channel, where the extra P electron has gone,
however, has a negative HOMO-LUMO gap. This is because the P state has
delocalized into the conduction band rather than remaining in the gap. DFT
with GGA will have issues of delocalizing defect states, and they will
become more and more pronounced the shallower that defect state is, since
the defect state will couple to the band edge. P is an extremely shallow
state in Si (~0.045eV below the CB in experiment), and so it's very hard to
remedy this situation. Your best bet is to explore hybrid DFT, which opens
the band gap and provides more localized states, but even that will have
trouble for such a shallow state and so you'll have to check it as you go.

-Nick