[CP2K-user] How to check the convergence of ADMM

Nicholas Winner nwi... at berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 9 00:59:28 UTC 2021

Hi Hongyang,

(1) Currently, you are right, HFX needs to use only gamma point. Therefore,
instead of k-points you have to rely on supercell approach in order to
converge the properties. One can get good properties using supercells of
sufficient size. For example, a Si primitive cell with 2 atoms and 8x8x8
k-points would be roughly equivalent to a 1024 atom cell at gamma point
only. Alternatively, you can run smalleer cell and still get good results.
I would guess that ~250 atoms will give good lattice constants for Si. If
you *must* perform cell optimization using hybrid, then this is what I
would suggest; however, even using ADMM that would be a costly calculation.
Bulk properties like lattice constants are often correctly predicted by
GGA, and so you might consider simply optimizing the lattice constants at
the GGA level and then passing the calculation to HSE06 after. This will
depend on your system, but give it some thought.

(2) This is a little opaque yes. In general, I believe that you don't have
to worry about the convergence of the ADMM basis set for 3 reasons: (1) the
ADMM has been demonstrated to perform well in many papers in the
literature, and so the use of ADMM will not be questioned by many these
days. (2) checking ADMM against the primary basis is absurdly expensive, to
the point where it is often impossible to check. You can check the
convergence of just the auxiliary bases by comparing the energies different
auxiliary basis sets to one another in a series of static calculations if
you want to be thorough. (3) You have already committed to sacrificing a
tiny bit of accuracy by using the ADMM instead of the primary basis. It's
the compromise you make in order to run large calculations, and so you
shouldn't expect it to perfectly reproduce the primary basis, but it will
do a decent job.

(3) The band gap can be read off by setting the SCF solver to OT and then
turning on FORCE_EVAL%DFT%PRINT%MO_CUBES. A minimal working example of what
I mean:

&FORCE_EVAL
    &DFT
        &SCF