[CP2K-user] [CP2K:15075] OT/Supercell vs. Kpoints: Abnormal pressure difference

Lucas Lodeiro eluni... at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 23:59:45 UTC 2021

Hi Nicholas,

I am seeing some definitions which are not totally comparable. For example,
the primitive cell of Si has 2 atoms, and if you use a 13x13x13 kpoint
grid, the comparable supercell using just the gamma point is a 13x13x13
supercell containing 4394 atoms. As you mention, for gamma point +
supercell calculation, you use a cell with 250 atoms (5x5x5 supercell)
which is comparable with a primitive cell calculation with 5x5x5 kpoint
grid.

Abot the difference using different basis sets, well is not weird, the
stress tensor calculation is highly dependent on the scf convergence and
the accuracy of the wavefunction.

Another thing that caught my attention was the OT vs diagonalization
comparison. Both probably give a pretty similar solution, but no equal... I
would f¿prefer compare the primitive and supercell calculation using the
same wavefunction solver, especially if you use smearing, which is not
implemented for OT method, and could be a source of discrepancies (albeit
in a semiconductor this is not so important, if you are using a GGA or LDA
functional, the band gap is highly underestimated and the smearing affects
the calculation).

Why are you using UKS instead of RKS?

Regards - Lucas Lodeiro