[CP2K-user] OT/Supercell vs. Kpoints: Abnormal pressure difference

Nicholas Winner nwi... at berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 2 18:14:00 UTC 2021

Hello all,

I performed two cell optimizations on bulk Si, the first with a primitive
cell and kpoints and the second using OT and a 250 atom supercell. Both
structures started from the Materials Project (mp-149) lowest energy Fm-3m
polymorph.

I found that while OT only took 3 cell opt steps, the kpoint calculation
took 10 steps, which I found a little strange.

Upon investigation I found two things:
(a) the kpoint calculation, had a large initial pressure deviation of
-92570 bar, compared to OT, which had an initial deviation of  -708 bar at
DZVP level and -2934 at TZV2PX level. Again these are the same structure,
just kpoints vs supercell. It is a little odd to me that DZVP is closer to
converged pressure, but I don't think its too strange.
(b) the kpoint calculation relaxed from Fm-3m to Im-3m space group, which
is not the ground state polymorph.

My question is whether or not this issue is due to CP2K's kpoint
implementation, or if this is something more fundamental, and how (if at
all) it can be resolved. Below is the abridged DFT section for the kpoint
calculation, which I assume is where the problem lies, but I can provide
more info if needed.

Best,
Nick

&DFT