[CP2K-user] Large energy difference between md step and single point calculation

Massimo Bocus massib... at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 08:55:14 UTC 2020

Dear CP2K users/developers,

I am extracting some snapshots from an umbrella sampling simulation (with
PLUMED as dependency of CP2K 5.1) and I would like to recalculate their
energy at a higher level of theory. So to start I performed a single point
calculation at the same level of theory of the US simulation (PBE-D3) and,
surprisingly for me, I got very different results in the energy. In
particular, the energy of the MD step is:
ENERGY| Total FORCE_EVAL ( QS ) energy (a.u.):
-3520.987951048081868
While for the single point calculation:
ENERGY| Total FORCE_EVAL ( QS ) energy (a.u.):
-3520.903314334958850
Which is an enormous difference. Attached the two input scripts, the main
differences being the RUN_TIPE, the cell parameters (for the single point
they are just taken from the md output at the selected step) and the lack
of the MOTION section.
Does anybody have an idea on where this large energy difference could come
from?

Thank you in advance,
Massimo Bocus