[CP2K-user] Steered Molecular Dynamics

Dev Rana dev.... at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 14:30:19 UTC 2020

Hi Marcella,

Thank you for your suggestions. Is there an example of the 3rd method
anywhere? I *think *this is the technique that I actually need. I have some
bond lengths (RDF) from ab initio MD between different species so I'd like
to place two atoms within the solvent. Subsequently, constraint 1 atom, and
push the other atom toward a target distance (based on RDF). However, I'm
not sure how to do this correctly. The closest example I have found
is https://www.cp2k.org/exercises:2020_uzh_acpc2:ex03?s[]=target
and https://www.cp2k.org/exercises:2017_ethz_mmm:nacl_free_energy?s[]=target.
However, they don't explain what CP2K is doing when you specify a target.

Does this method, for example, allow you to place two atoms 10A away and
set TARGET to 1.72A? Will MD then forcibly through some sort of steepest
descent push these two atoms towards 1.72A? Is it this simple?

Thank you again!

Best Regards,
Devyesh Rana