[CP2K-user] a question on the Kohn-Sham orbital expressed as Gaussian basis function, is the Kohn-Sham orbital translational invariant (obey periodicity)?

Fangyong Yan fyya... at gmail.com
Sat May 23 09:25:07 UTC 2020

Dear CP2K developers,

I have a question regarding the translational invariant of Kohn-Sham
orbital in the Gaussian plane-wave method.

The Kohn-Sham orbital should be translational invariant, and if we express
the orbital using Gaussian basis function, these Gaussian basis function
needs also be translational invariant, in the paper "A hybrid Gaussian and
plane wave density functional scheme", by LIPPERT, HUTTER and
PARRINELLO, MOLECULAR PHYSICS, 1997, VOL. 92, NO. 3, 477-487. The Kohn-Sham
orbital has been expanded by Gaussian basis function which includes the
periodicity. (Eq. 4 and 5 in the paper).

However, in the recent paper of CP2K, "QUICKSTEP: Fast and accurate density
functional calculations using a mixed Gaussian and plane waves
approach", Joost VandeVondele, Matthias Krack , Fawzi Mohamed , Michele
Parrinello , Thomas Chassaing , Jürg Hutter, Computer Physics
Communications 167 (2005) 103–128, from Eq. 1, the definition of electron
density, has been expanded based on Gaussian basis function, but these
Gaussian basis function has not mentioned to take account of periodicity.
But if the Gaussian basis function has not taken account the periodicity,
the electron density is not translational invariant.

Could you please help me with Eq. 1 regarding the periodicity of electron
density in this recent paper of C2PK?

Thank you very much!

Fangyong