[CP2K-user] GEO_OPT a molecular is 10000 time longer then gaussian

Vladimir Rybkin rybk... at gmail.com
Fri May 15 11:41:12 UTC 2020

Dear Linfeng,

a few general remarks:
1) CP2K is not the most efficient tool for small molecules. For instance,
it does a lot of integrations over cells in real and reciprocal space, and
for a small molecule the cell is almost everywhere empty.
2) CP2K does not use internal coordinates for optimisation. This has to do
with the fact that it's mostly meant for large periodic systems. Gaussians'
Berny algorithm does use internal coordinates and is very efficient for
small systems.
3) It's very likely that you 150 steps have not change the geometry
significantly.
4) It's not completely clear where this 10000 times come from. It may have
to do with how you compile and run your applications.

That said, there's no specific problems with optimisers and efficiency.
It's about applicability of tools for specific purposes. If you going to
work with small molecules, you'd better stick to programs made for them,
i.e. Gaussian. CP2K is meant for large and/or periodic systems.

Yours,

Vladimir