[CP2K-user] ssmp and CPU loads

Alex nedo... at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 20:29:45 UTC 2020

Hi all,

We've just built the latest version according to
https://www.cp2k.org/howto:compile?s[]=ssmp

The main use case is single-node multi-CPU (36 cores /72 threads
available), so SSMP appeared like the correct option, i.e., none of the run
commands involving mpirun. Our understanding is that the executable will
use all available threads. We have confirmed it using a small system (~50
atoms) -- the system load shows one instance of cp2k with something like
2400% load, which is similar to for example how Gromacs runs using OpenMP.
So, all is great.

However, when running a large system containing ~1000 atoms, there is a
single cp2k instance with 100% load and ~1TB RAM usage. SCF updates are
sluggish, but it's a large system, so we can't tell if it's due to size or
the fact that the CPU load is improperly low. Here is my question: is this
correct behavior? Is there a way or need to force a particular number of
threads to run on? Are we building the correct version for our needs?

Another, more minor question: does multithreading help CP2K performance?
The same machine is used for coupled cluster calculations and the users
insist that HT hurts their performance, so it's currently off.

Many thanks,

Alex