[CP2K-user] [CP2K:13546] IC-QMMM with single charge in front of a metal plane: open boundary corrections

Dorothea Golze doroth... at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 24 14:04:39 UTC 2020

Hi Katharina,

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly and what your
computational setup is.
The basic electrostatic consideration is that the potential should be
constant within a conductor. If no external potential is applied, the
electrostatic potential is zero within a metal, i.e., V_0=0. That is the
default. It can be also set to another value  in principle, e.g., maybe to
approximate the application of a potential to an electrode. But it seems
that's not what you want to do here. Note that the IC-QM/MM does not
introduce actual charges, only image charges. You can run with the normal
periodic solver when you have a (neutral) molecule on top of the metal (MM).
If you have a charged system in the QM part, then you need a solver like
MT, like in a standard QM calculation.

Best regards,
Dorothea