[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12815] SCAN convergence problems for charged systems

Travis polla... at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 20:12:16 UTC 2020

Hi,

You're combining a very large cutoff (1200 Ry) with a small rel_cutoff (40
Ry), which creates an unbalanced grid. Large cutoffs require a larger
rel_cutoff so the added points aren't just pushed to the coarsest grids.

1200/120
 count for grid        1:          89892          cutoff [a.u.]
600.00 # lots of points on fine grid, expensive
 count for grid        2:          63191          cutoff [a.u.]
200.00
 count for grid        3:          42699          cutoff [a.u.]
66.67
 count for grid        4:          17703          cutoff [a.u.]
22.22
 total gridlevel count  :         213485

800/50
 count for grid        1:          76679          cutoff [a.u.]
400.00
 count for grid        2:          57951          cutoff [a.u.]
133.33
 count for grid        3:          45900          cutoff [a.u.]
44.44
 count for grid        4:          32955          cutoff [a.u.]
14.81
 total gridlevel count  :         213485

1200/40
 count for grid        1:          33765          cutoff [a.u.]
600.00 # too few points on fine grid
 count for grid        2:          56127          cutoff [a.u.]
200.00
 count for grid        3:          63191          cutoff [a.u.]
66.67
 count for grid        4:          60402          cutoff [a.u.]
22.22
 total gridlevel count  :         213485

Simply switching to 800 Ry / 50 Ry (cutoff / rel_cutoff) or keeping your
initial 1200 Ry but using a rel_cutoff of 120 Ry leads to rapid convergence.

-T