[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12815] SCAN convergence problems for charged systems

Chris Ahart uca... at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jan 27 18:27:41 UTC 2020

Dear Juerg,

Thanks for your response.

The 8x8x8 cell does indeed converge, giving an IP of 288.9 kcal in good
agreement with the G12IP dataset SCAN value of 287.9 kcal (J. G.
Brandenburg, J. E. Bates, J. Sun and J. P. Perdew, *Phys. Rev. B*, 2016,
*94*, 17–19.).  Reducing the cell dimensions is however problematic for
other systems (e.g NH3, Cl2), as a cell small enough to give non-diverging
SCF then has non-zero density at the cell edges. Increasing the multigrid
cutoff appears to make this problem worse.

I have also done some condensed phase tests on bulk iron oxides for polaron
studies. Perhaps without any vacuum where the density becomes small, the
charged state converges easily. However the resultant potential energy
surface is very flat, with localised and delocalised polarons being energy
degenerate (HSE and other methods predict small polarons). At least one
other group has attempted to use SCAN with CP2K, and they found that SCAN
performs even worse than LDA for describing solid gallium (R. C. Remsing,
J. Sun, U. V. Waghmare and M. L. Klein, *Mol. Phys.*, 2018, *116*,
3372–3379). Combined with the knowledge that small charged systems can't
converge for reasonable cell sizes, it looks like SCAN doesn't work very
well with CP2K.

Would you have any further advice, or does this seem like a methodological
problem with SCAN and CP2K?

Regards,
Chris